Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Hannah's Last Award

This has been a really emotional and hard week. It's the end of the school year and that means so many lasts for me. We packed Hannah's room on Saturday for the move. I've spent the week saying good bye to teachers and school faculty. Friday Kyle graduates from High School. We get the keys to our new house Saturday, and Sunday would have been Hannah's 9th Bday. If I get through this week it will only be by the grace of God.

Yesterday was the end of the year awards ceremony for Hannah's school. They asked if I could receive Hannah's award. It is something I wanted to do so I did. When they asked me I said yes, and then cried for an hour afterwards. The day got here and I was glad to have two of Hannah's classsmates to help distract me. It was our turn to recieve awards. Hannah's teacher said a few words and then began calling each of the boys to receive their rewards. When it came time for Hannah's, she was choked up. She loved my girl so much. I blew Hannah a kiss, received her medal, hugged her teacher and cried, and then stood with Hannah's classmates as the parents, teachers, and administrative staff gave her a standing ovation. I did good. I cried some but not too much. Then we went out for photos and I held it together pretty durn good I think. When I drove into my driveway and parked my van however I bawled. That was the last award my girl would ever receive. This was the last school year I'd ever prepare her for starting a new year. No more summers of she and I having school together. So many final moments and it was tough.

Last night Rachael and her girls dropped by with a framed picture of the Central Baptist GA's(helped Hannah get Koolio), Hannah, and Koolio. It has paw prints on it and signatures of the girls. It is a precious gift that I will cherish always.

I'm thanking God in the midst of all my heartache for so many things. I'm thanking him for strength and courage. I'm thanking him for the quickenings he gave me and pushes to require a little extra out of myself. I'm so very thankful for all the time I invested in Hannah's life. It was not an easy life, but it was a blessed one. I'd gladly do it all over again. I learned so much from Hannah. I will never take another day, another hour, or moment for granted. Life is too precious.

Here are a couple photos of the day. I look awful but I don't care. It was an incredible day for me. Hannah was remembered and those days are very special in my eyes.


1 comment:

Sally G said...

Marcey, what strength you have from the Lord. What blessings you pour out on all around you. Keeping you in prayer, that Kyle's graduation will be so much celebration, and your move a huge blessing. You are loved.