Wednesday, March 5, 2008

The Two Reports and Layne

Yesterday I got the results from some testing the school psychologist did on Hannah recently. He scored her in the severe range for autism. I think no matter how much you prepare for news such as this, it is still a tough blow. I didn't really learn anything I didn't know already, except that when he viewed a home video of Hannah, he saw signs of autism in her then. I had always thought she was developing normally until she turned 3. Not sure how I missed that, but at any rate, the results are in and we need to work on a life plan for Hannah.

Getting her dog will be a huge help. By the way, as of Feb. 29th, we had $220 donated towards her dog. I'll get totals on the 1st and 15th and will update everyone here. The people at Dave's work have really gotten on board and are supporting this effort! Go Harwood! Dave, Hannah and I will attend a dinner for a new friend who is raising money for a dog next Friday. Javan and his family have been working feverishly to raise donations since right before Christmas. It'll be exciting to meet. Keep your fingers crossed for both Hannah and Javan.

I have to admit, I was kind of down after reading the psych report yesterday. There are so many things that go through your mind. I have no way of knowing what Hannah can or can't do. What her life will look like when she is grown. It really is a grieving process. Don't get me wrong, my little girl is a wonderful child. She is amazing and a joy to have in my life. Her disabilities are hard however, and it's difficult to know what to do and not do for her. Today, I think I got what my friend calls, "God kisses". I got to school a little early to pick up Hannah and her class was coming in from the playground. Her teacher spotted me and pointed in front of her. Walking hand in hand back to their class was Hannah and Layne. Layne was talking to Hannah the whole way. Loud sudden noises bother Layne and Mrs. Wheeler told us that when the bell rang, instead of layne letting go of Hannah's hand and putting his hands over his ears, he put his free hand over his ear and lay the other ear on Hannah's shoulder. He wasn't going to let his friend's hand go. Layne is autistic too, and he and Hannah get each other. So, all my worrying about whether Hannah will ever have friends is useless. She may not have friends like I do, but she will have her own little special friends. Thank you God for giving me that kiss today. :<)

Well, I better get dinner done. Please keep us in your prayers!

No comments: